Blue orchid is a rare and very attractive flower. There is a plant in India, Thailand, South China. Flowers have a diameter of 9 centimeters. Shades of petals are diverse - from blue to red-purple.
Orchid can also become blue when staining petals with chemical dyes or as a result of the introduction of dye into the stem. But such flowers cannot be called real. In nature, a vivid representative of blue orchids is the Vanda species. Cattleya should also be noted. And Phalaenopsis is painted, - this species does not have blue flowers.
Finding a Blue Orchid
Features of the Wanda variety
The royal flower looks attractive, and care should be appropriate. If you do not have knowledge of growing a plant, Wanda is unlikely to take root. The flower has many hybrids that are convenient to cross.
Is Phalaenopsis blue
Blue specimens of the Phalaenopsis species are not found. But you can buy a blue flower, characterized by unpretentiousness in care. In the photo, the plant looks very attractive, the smell is weak, not spicy. Phalaenopsis blooms for six months, the color of the petals can be different.
Cattleya Orchid Features
Cattleya receives only positive reviews, as she is not too capricious, she does not need special care, the plant looks charming. At home, it blooms well, the palette of shades of petals is diverse.
- East window. In order for the blue-colored plant to feel good on the eastern window, it should be located in this place in the summer - from May to September. In winter, it is better to move the orchid to the south side. If you decide to leave the flower on the east window, in winter you need to provide it with additional lighting.
- North window. The blue snow leopard orchid and other types of blue palette, located on the northern window, will not grow without artificial lighting, as penumbra is observed here year-round. It is lighting that has a direct impact on how the plant develops.
- Western window. Caring for a flower located on the western window is the easiest. It is sunny here, but not too much. Some lighting problems can occur in winter, but most often there is enough light.
- South window. Royal Phalaenopsis feels good on the south window, but since the plant located here is in a state of active growth all the time, it can become sick. Sometimes burns may occur on the leaves, so it is recommended to place the plant behind the curtain.
Royal Flower: Wanda Orchid
The main methods of growing
When growing at home, it is important to choose the right container and substrate for the orchid. It must be remembered that the plant appreciates free breathing.
According to reviews, there is a better chance of taking root at that flower whose roots were not damaged during transportation. Even provided that the humidity in the room is low, if everything is normal with the roots, the plant will not die.
Improper care in the form of too frequent watering can cause rotting of the roots and stem. According to statistics, this error is the most common reason why orchids die at home.
Different methods are suitable for growing a flower:
- You can plant an orchid in a pot, coconut.
- If there is no pot, you can place the flower in a black plastic basket, while the roots of the plant will hang freely. The presented method is suitable for growing in an apartment, often practiced in greenhouses, greenhouses.
- It happens that the orchid is planted in baskets made of twigs, rails, bamboo sticks, or in a cache-pot.
- You can set the plant on the block, and decorate the roots.
- It is allowed to place the flower in an ordinary glass vase.
What substrate is required
As the soil, you can use sphagnum moss, bark of coniferous trees. The choice of substrate is determined mainly depending on the location of the orchid. The more light a plant receives, the more moss is required.
How to deal with temperature
The orchid will look like a picture while providing it with the correct temperature. It should be selected depending on the type of hybrid. The optimal mode for keeping the flower is +14 degrees at night, +25 degrees during the day. However, even with a 40-degree heat, the plant will not die.
Orchid should be watered and sprayed, as it is grown mainly without a substrate. The external parts of the plant, its roots should be sprayed. The procedure should be actively carried out in the summer when the air in the room is quite dry.
In winter, plants are sprayed once every couple of days. Moisture should only get to the roots. When liquid gets on the leaves and cores, these parts of the plant begin to rot, the leaves fall off. Rotting of the core leads to the death of the plant.
After each spraying, the orchid is wiped with napkins. Instead of spraying, you can water the flowers in the shower. The water temperature should be about 40 degrees.
Features of care at rest
In fact, blue orchids have periods of rest only when optimal conditions are created. This primarily relates to lighting. How to understand if a plant has enough light? The easiest way to look at the roots. If there is enough light, the roots will be in a state of active growth, and the flower will look bright and healthy.
If there is not enough light, the color of the leaves will not be so bright, and the tips of the roots will begin to decrease or become white skin. So the orchid tells you that it has come to rest, and the metabolism has slowed down.
What to do in this case? If you notice that the flower begins to enter a sleepy state, provide it with artificial lighting in the evening from 18 to 22 hours. Such illumination will prevent the plant from falling asleep and reduce the risk of infections.
Orchid Wanda: care features
Orchid care, it does not matter whether it has blue petals or not, should be carried out according to standard rules - timely spraying, adequate lighting and optimal temperature. Blue flowers are quite rare, but if you want to get an instance that has an unusual shade of petals, you can choose varieties of blue.