Gooseberry pastille is not only tasty, but also healthy. The finished dish has an unobtrusive taste, there is a slight sourness in it. Depending on the type of fruit chosen, the color of the marshmallow can be different and varies from light green to maroon. You can prepare such a delicacy yourself at home. Thanks to the large number of recipes, everyone will be able to choose a suitable option for themselves.
Secrets of making homemade gooseberry marshmallows
During the cooking process, it is recommended to adhere to the following tips:
- if you spread the berry puree in a thick layer, then the delicacy will be not only soft, but also quite juicy;
- the most delicious is the product that has been dried naturally - next to a gas stove or in direct sunlight;
- for long-term storage, plastic containers are used, which are placed in the refrigerator.
In addition, do not forget that the taste of the finished product directly depends on the berry puree. For these purposes, it is recommended to choose only ripe berries, the use of slightly overripe fruits is allowed.
Important! Gooseberries must undergo heat treatment, for this they can be blanched, baked in the oven, placed in a double boiler.
Where to dry gooseberry marshmallow
There are several ways in which you can dry fruit puree:
- natural method - this drying option is optimal, since it does not require additional energy consumption. Drying time depends on the thickness of the applied layer and can vary from 5 to 10 days;
- in the oven - when choosing this method, it is worth setting the temperature regime to + 100 ° C, while the door is slightly opened;
- they also prepare gooseberry marshmallow in an electric dryer - when the maximum temperature is set, the whole process will take from 3 to 6 hours.
If the gooseberry mass can be rolled up in a tube, while it does not break and the top layer does not stick to your hands, then these signs indicate readiness.
Traditional gooseberry marshmallow recipe
The traditional recipe for cooking assumes the presence of natural ingredients with or without the addition of granulated sugar.
For cooking, you need 1 kg of ripe gooseberries.
The algorithm of actions is quite simple:
- Prepare a puree based on the harvested berries (the variety can be any).
- The resulting mass is transferred to an enamel pan.
- Put on a low heat and simmer until the puree is significantly reduced in volume and thickens.
- As soon as the base for the treat is ready, it must be dried in any convenient way described above.
Advice! In order for the fruit mass not to stick to the pot during the day, it is recommended to stir it constantly.
Sugar-free gooseberry pastille recipe
If you plan to cook gooseberry marshmallow at home without adding sugar, then it is recommended to use only ripe sweet fruits for these purposes.
For the recipe you will need:
- gooseberries - 1.5 kg.
The step-by-step cooking process is as follows:
- The berries are washed and blanched using a steam pressure cooker.
- After that, the fruits are rubbed through a sieve.
- The resulting mass is cooked over low heat until it decreases by 2 times.
- Mashed potatoes are laid out in forms, which are pre-covered with parchment and oiled.
It is recommended to dry the fruit marshmallow in the sun. After 24 hours, the product is turned over, the paper is changed to prevent mold. When the plates become dense enough, they are hung on threads to dry completely.
Attention! The thickness of the marshmallow should be about 1.5-2 cm.
Delicious gooseberry marshmallow with honey
As many housewives note, gooseberry marshmallows are especially tasty if you add a small amount of honey to it.
- gooseberries - 500 g;
- honey - 150 g.
The cooking algorithm is as follows:
- Mashed potatoes are prepared from the berries, after which they are simmered until the mass becomes thick.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool to room temperature.
- Add honey to a warm pastille, mix everything thoroughly.
Since high temperature readings can destroy all the beneficial properties of honey, it is recommended to dry such gooseberry marshmallows in a natural way.
The original recipe for gooseberry marshmallow with egg white
Another popular homemade gooseberry marshmallow recipe is with the addition of egg white. For cooking, you need the following ingredients:
- fresh gooseberries - 2 kg;
- granulated sugar - 600 g;
- egg white - 2 pcs.
The cooking algorithm is as follows:
- Ripe berries are mashed and then boiled over low heat until the mashed potatoes become thick.
- The resulting gooseberry mass is knocked down with a mixer for 5 minutes.
- Add granulated sugar and mix with a mixer until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Beat the egg whites separately until a dense head is formed.
- Add protein to a homogeneous berry puree, beat with a mixer. The mass should not spread.
Pastila is laid out on special trays and dried until it is ready.
The process of making apple-gooseberry marshmallow is not much different from the traditional recipe. In this case, take the required amount of ingredients:
- apples - 1 kg;
- gooseberries - 1 kg.
- The peel is removed from the apples, fruit puree is prepared.
- The future marshmallow is boiled over low heat until the mass decreases several times.
- You can dry it naturally or in the microwave, oven, electric dryer - everyone chooses the way that suits him best.
If desired, add sugar, honey or egg yolk to the resulting mass.
In the event that a small amount of gooseberry marshmallow was prepared, it is recommended to cut it into small pieces and put it in a glass jar. Storage is acceptable at room temperature.
If the candy is cooked in a large volume, then it should also be pre-cut into pieces, carefully laid out in glass containers, which are tightly closed with lids. A refrigerator is used for storage. The shelf life, subject to the temperature regime, can be up to 45 days.
Often, berry marshmallows are prepared for long-term storage. In this case, it is recommended to pack the products in airtight bags and freeze them. It is recommended to store the product in the freezer for up to 1 year.
Gooseberry pastila is a fairly tasty and natural delicacy that you can prepare yourself at home. Everyone can choose exactly the recipe option that suits him best. In addition, it is not required to have special tools and equipment for drying the pastilles. This is due to the fact that the drying process can be carried out naturally in direct sunlight.